PROFILE WAS AIRED WEEK OF AUGUST 19-25, 2016
CRIME STOPPERS would like to remind the citizens of Durham Region of the increased number of incidents related to Human Trafficking. Often referred to as sex slavery, there are numerous victims who are being forced into situations through manipulation, exploitation, threats of violence, and physical intimidation. Human Trafficking is an issue affecting our local community with the average age range of victims being 14-20 years old. If you are staying in a hotel or motel near major thoroughfares, be aware of some of the warning signs of Human Trafficking:
- A young person that appears fearful of or under the control of another person
- Visible injuries or other signs of abuse
- Constant flow of traffic to the room day and night
- Person seen exiting/entering after a visitor to the room arrives/leaves
- Travelling with minimal luggage or inappropriate belongings
If you or someone you know has been a victim of Human Trafficking, please call police or Crime Stoppers.
CRIME STOPPERS will pay up to $2000 cash for ANY information that leads to an arrest in this or ANY criminal matter. Callers never need to give their name or testify in court and we do NOT use call display. Remember: CRIME doesn’t pay But Crime Stoppers does.
Call us toll free at 1-800-222-8477
or visit us at
Constable Dana EDWARDS is the Police Coordinator with the Durham Regional Crime Stoppers program and submits this article in the interest of solving crime.